Sunday, July 12, 2015

A tribute to Satoru Iwata


  So I haven't written a blog post in awhile. My life has been fairly busy lately, and I've had to take a bit of a sabbatical from my Zelda series retrospective. While I intend to finish the series eventually, today I'd like to take a moment to talk about Nintendo President Satoru Iwata, who sadly passed away on July 11th, 2015.
  I'll keep this short. I won't bother listing Iwata's myriad successes and failures. Anyone bothering to read this knows who he was. And I'd bet that he was just as special to you as he was to me and millions of gamers worldwide.
  What made Satoru Iwata so beloved? Sure, he was charismatic, fun, and charmingly weird. But he also fundamentally understood something about games and the people who love them. He understood that games aren't just soulless products created to make money; that the successes of a company weren't only measured by its profit margins. Games can be profitable, sure, but to Iwata profit seemed almost ancillary.
  Games aren't just a series of 1s and 0s. They aren't just delivery systems for DLC and micro-transactions. They can be so much more. Games can bring us joy. They can help us form friendships. They can provide hope in dark times. They can take us to new worlds. They can help us better understand ourselves and the world we live in. Iwata understood that. He understood the power that games have. He wanted to bring people together. Boys and girls, the young and the old. Iwata's Nintendo wanted everyone to have fun playing games together. I believe that Iwata found great happiness in the fact that the games he helped create brought joy to millions of people across the world.
  Iwata was clearly passionate about the games his company created. That passion was contagious. A genuine love of the medium is sadly a very rare thing in today's profit driven game industry. Iwata's Nintendo was a bright spot in a bleak world. I will miss him dearly.
The games your company has made have brought me and so many other so much happiness. Thank you very, very much.
  Sayonara, Iwata-san. I'll play you off:



No comments:

Post a Comment